Christian Assistance Bridge is a service agency in Blythewood, SC that is blessed with significant support from a generous community! The mission of Christian Assistance Bridge is to provide hope and support to those in need by offering basic necessities. CAB offers emergency assistance, such as utilities, rent, food, medication, transportation and traveler’s aid, to residents in Blythewood and surrounding communities. The agency, located at 126 Blythewood Road, is a collaborative effort of area churches, individuals and support organizations and currently serves residents of zip codes 29016 (Blythewood), 29229 (Northeast Columbia) and 29130 (Ridgeway).
Organizers hope one day to be able to increase the service area as well as the types of assistance provided, but more funding must first be secured through churches, grants and individual donations.
• CAB Welcomes NEW DIRECTOR! We are pleased to announce the hiring of our new Executive Director, Lauren Wells. Lauren comes to CAB with 17 years of public relations, communications and marketing experience in both the corporate and non-profit sectors. Having previously worked for The American Red Cross and Holy Angels in Belmont, NC, Lauren’s non-profit experience in the field of human services provides her a strong platform from which to lead CAB in fulfilling our vision of growing and serving more in our community. Lauren is a graduate of NC State University and currently serves as an adjunct professor at the University of South Carolina.
• One CAN make a difference! TheWestwood High School Student Council ask you to help. Simply purchase one extra can of food each time you shop and place it in one of the beautifully marked WHS food collection bins that have been placed in the Blythewood area. If your business would like one of these collection bins, just let CAB or WHS know. So far this school year alone, the Westwood High School Food Drive has stocked the CAB pantry with over 1700 cans/boxes/containers of food!
• Volunteers are always needed. Volunteers are trained to meet with people in need and determine how best to provide assistance. OR you can spend your time stocking the pantry. OR you can help enter client and assistance information into the database. OR you can visit Harvest Hope Food Bank once or twice a month to stock the freezer.
• Event raises funds for CAB – The Flavors of Fall fundraiser in November raised over $7,000 for the Christian Assistance Bridge. Individuals from local communities, pastors, business owners and town government representatives were among the 175 who attended the event at The Farm at Ridgeway. Use of the venue was donated by owner and Blythewood businessman Larry Sharpe.
Other event sponsors were The Ben Arnold Beverage Company, Farr Consultants, Kem Smith, C.P.A., Mike and Charlotte Floyd, Blythewood Pharmacy, Transfiguration Catholic Church, Sullivan Psychological, First Community Bank, the Trinity United Methodist Church Chancel Choir, Fairfield Electric Cooperative, the Town of Blythewood, First Citizens Bank, Matt and Kristen Fallon, Ashley and Aggie Jones and Covert Homes.
SINCERE THANKS TO THE SPONSORS NAMED ABOVE AND TO EVERYONE WHO ATTENDED!
• High school students help out – Students from Westwood High School have been volunteering time each week to help stock the shelves in the CAB pantry. Such hard workers they are!
• CAB Executive Board – The Christian Assistance Bridge Executive Board consists of: Dr. Bill Sullivan (Chair), private practice psychologist at Lake Psychological Services; John Covert (Treasurer), owner of Covert Homes; Beth Franco (Secretary), Executive Director at Eat Smart, Move More SC; and Michele DuBard (Vice Chair).
Any individual, church or organization wishing to support the mission of Christian Assistance Bridge may send contributions to Christian Assistance Bridge, P.O. Box 1026, Blythewood, SC 29016. Christian Assistance Bridge is a 501(c)(3), tax-exempt agency. Your donation is tax deductible.